A branch of Webber International University
- Blair Garnett, Class of \'10, from NC
'; $title[5] = 'Did you know...'; $story[5] = 'Academic programs offered range from Business, Sports Studies, Biology, and Forensics to Creative Writing, Psychology, Education or Philosophy as well as Pre-Professional Programs.'; $title[6] = 'In their own words...'; $story[6] = '"Living on campus is a life experience I have learned so much from. We eat together, watch TV together, study together, and do absolutely nothing together. When I go home for breaks, it's like I'm leaving my second family!"
- Jess Cutler, Class of \'10, from FL
'; $title[7] = 'Did you know...'; $story[7] = 'With St. Andrews\' study abroad programs, you can live in a 14th Century castle in the Italian Alps, attend the University of Cuenca in Ecuador, experience Chinese language and culture at Capital Normal University in Beijing, China, as well as many other opportunities.'; $title[8] = 'In their own words...'; $story[8] = '"As a first generation Latin American, it was different coming here, but I soon realized that I could just be me. St. Andrews is a school for people who like small classes and a close community."
- Anthony Fernandez, Class of \'10
'; $quotefact = rand(1,8); $imglist=''; //$img_folder is the variable that holds the path to the banner images. Mine is images/tutorials/ // see that you don't forget about the "/" at the end if($dv_usepath != ''){ $img_folder = "/var/www/html/new_img/subpage_img_" . $dv_usepath . "/"; $img_folder2 = "/new_img/subpage_img_" . $dv_usepath . "/"; }else{ $img_folder = "/var/www/html/new_img/subpage_img/"; $img_folder2 = "/new_img/subpage_img/"; } if($dv_useimage != ''){ $image = $dv_useimage; }else{ mt_srand((double)microtime()*1000); //use the directory class $imgs = dir($img_folder); //read all files from the directory, checks if are images and ads them to a list (see below how to display flash banners) while ($file = $imgs->read()) { if (eregi("gif", $file) || eregi("jpg", $file) || eregi("png", $file)) $imglist .= "$file "; } closedir($imgs->handle); //put all images into an array $imglist = explode(" ", $imglist); $no = sizeof($imglist)-2; //generate a random number between 0 and the number of images $random = mt_rand(0, $no); $image = $imglist[$random]; //display image //echo ''; } ?>

Office of Disability Services

Frequently Asked Questions about Disability Services at Colleges and Universities

1. Are there certain colleges and universities that are better for students with disabilities?

It is difficult to rank colleges and universities on regarding services for students with disabilities. Disability is a general term that refers to a wide array of socio-emotional, physiological or neurological conditions that impede learning. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act requires each college and university to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure that all students have access to their programs. If you believe you would benefit from an intense program of services, you should research the various colleges and universities to determine which is most likely to meet your specific learning needs.
Two sources for finding this information include:

  • The Princeton Review K&W Guide for Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities or ADD. ISBN 037576495X
  • Peterson’s Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit Disorders. ISBN 0768912687

2. What kinds of housing options are there for me?

Housing is exactly that, an option. Many colleges and universities do not provide any housing; others have outsourced their housing to private organizations or other agencies. Others offer very limited housing and others still will provide a full-scale of choices. If the college/university offers housing, it must ensure that there is housing accessible to students with disabilities. It is very important to discuss your needs with appropriate university officials well in advance to ensure that any accommodations that might be necessary can be handled in a timely manner. (AHEAD 2014)

3. How does the college/university handle food services for students with food allergies?

Often colleges and universities contract with outside private agencies for food services. It is important to discuss the issue of food allergies during the application process. Many colleges and universities do not offer meal plans, however, if the college/university does offer a meal plan, it must meet its obligations to students regardless of the entity providing that resource. If the college does not offer a meal plan of any sort and students are on their own to utilize on-campus or off-campus food establishments, then the matter becomes the responsibility of the students to resolve. It would still be worthwhile to discuss this issue with the college/university Office of Disability Services personnel. They may have prior experiences or knowledge regarding this issue and can be of assistance to you.

4. Can I visit the Office of Disability Services when I tour the university?

You are more than welcome to visit the Office of Disability Services. The staff would love to have you visit and learn about the support services we provide at the Center for Academic Success. If your visit is to occur during the academic term, the staff will be busy attending to current student needs and if it occurs during the summer or between terms, they may not be in the office. Either way, we really want to meet you but it is imperative to make an appointment in advance so someone can be available to answer your questions.

5. I had an IEP/504 Plan in high school. Why isn’t that good enough for college?

An IEP or 504 Plan addresses the learner’s needs in the K-12 educational program. Postsecondary education is a totally different arena. Almost everything about the postsecondary system is different from what you’ve experienced before. This includes how a college /university may address your needs for accessibility to its educational program. The information it needed to accomplish this is also different and is based on adult learning needs rather than the learning capacities of juvenile learners. While the IEP or 504 Plan may provide the ODS with some measure of what it will need and some historical background, additional information may be required.

6. I will need some extra help to understand the class material. Can someone help him with that?

St. Andrews provides a wide array of student academic support. The Center for Academic Success has academic aides (staff) that will help students study, organize materials and are available to do read-alouds or scribe for students. Most of the SAU professors are available to students before or after classes to help with those who may be struggling academically. Furthermore, there are often organized peer tutoring sessions available for all students in several courses. If you need tutorial services you will need to arrange for and pay for that yourself. Federal guidelines do not mandate colleges/universities to provide tutorial services to ensure access to their educational programs. SAU, however, has a wide range of academic support service to extend to all students as well as the accommodations for students with disabilities that address specific barriers to academic success.

7. Does the university make special arrangements for students to sit for the SAT?

You must make arrangements with Educational Testing Services (ETS) who administer the SAT. Usually, the high schools are responsible for administering the SAT and should have all the information necessary to address questions. Of course, you could contact ETS directly to find out what would be necessary. You should plan on this well in advance of any scheduled administration of the exam.

8. Does the university provide special equipment for students with physical disabilities?

The college is responsible for ensuring that their programs and activities are accessible to students with disabilities. If this means that physical modifications are needed such as a raised desk or lowered laboratory table, then the university takes care of that. Special equipment of a personal nature is not paid for by a university. However, the distinctions between modified equipment for accessibility and personal special equipment can vary so it is always best to discuss these issues with the Office of Disability Services personnel at St. Andrews. If you are a client of Vocational Rehabilitation, you should be discussing these issues with your counselor as well.

Adapted from AHEAD, 2014 FAQS-Parents. www.ahead.org

© 2014 St. Andrews University. All Rights Reserved.
Access Webmail
Access Moodle

St. Andrews University
A branch of Webber International University
1700 Dogwood Mile
Laurinburg, NC 28352
(910) 277-5555 • (800) 763-0198 • (fax) 910-277-5020
Student Complaints
Sexual harassment and related incidents